An eclectic assortment of media reviews, journaling, idle thoughts, opinions, and maybe some poetry.

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation Review



I have nothing but praise for the newest installment in series I have greatly adored since MI1. Ghost Protocol set a new standard for the series with its story and action sequences, but I believe Rogue Nation has exceeded the predecessor.

Tom Cruise continues to rock as Ethan Hunt, but I have to give an additional round of applause for Rebecca Ferguson as Ilsa. Not only was she stunning, but her performance put a depth and personal turmoil on a character that could so very easily been flat, cold, and calculating like we see in many spy-type characters. Additionally, being the token female of importance Ilsa was the obvious choice for the typical on-screen accelerated romance that we so often see. However, I was nearly jumping out of my seat with joy at seeing, or not seeing, the lack of such a dynamic with Ethan. The movie put a higher focus on what I really came to see: Hero/Villain interplay, pockets of humor, and awesome action sequences.

What I loved about one action sequence in particular, was the juxtaposition of the sequence upon a much different setting. I can't say too much without spoiling it for you, but I can say the music was amazing, and plot related. Enjoyably, I was left unsure of what was truly was happening until end. The length of this scene and other such scenes was perfect as well.

With a broad set of international locations and several high intensity action sequences Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation delivers dose after dose of awesome. The cast was all-around great and I cannot wait for the next movie.

9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment