An eclectic assortment of media reviews, journaling, idle thoughts, opinions, and maybe some poetry.

Monday, August 3, 2015

Review of Dr. No (1962) - James Bond Movie



Having been born into a generation where spy/action movies are characterized by suave characters, cool tech, and generally fast paced plot, this movie was a total step back in time. I enjoyed taking a look at some of the roots that established this genre. Sean Connery takes on the role of James Bond with an emphasis on being a gentleman. However that is nearly all that can be said about the character from just watching Dr. No. Few other aspects of the movie truly drew my attention.

I honestly am having trouble recalling what happened in the movie, despite having watched it yesterday. I can only accredit this to a movie that falls into a mold that I have seen on screen before many times. While I, at first, loved the title villain, Dr. No, his plan is foiled incredibly easily and with no true suspense.

On a positive note, I absolutely jammed out to the James Bond theme ever time it played. I wish it had been placed a few more times, or at least continued throughout key scenes. Also, thumbs up to Bond Girls. The love interests, if you can even call them that, are filmed in very classy ways. Appreciated.

Moral of the Story: A lack of witty dialogue, a forgettable conflict, and only rare instances demonstrating the purported "super spy's" intelligence ultimately create a decent but baseline movie.

6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment